Living with Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized with disorganized speech, hallucinations, illusions and irrational behavior. Living with schizophrenia is difficult if the patient does not know about disease. More difficult is to live with a person who has schizophrenia. This article is dedicated to help those people who live with schizophrenics.
Mind being a mysterious organ creates a creepy aura regarding its disorders. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder whose cause is not fully known and this very fact makes it uncanny. It feels strange to verbalize the doubt of ‘how to behave a schizophrenic person’ but this is the need of the time. Let us see some of the methods which will ease out tough situations.
Know this, that schizophrenics are never good with communication. While talking to them use short sentences free of complicated words. Speak at a slow pace and be clear and audible. Wait, confirm and re confirm that whatever is being said is reaching to the person. Do not lose patience if you have to repeat the same thing for number of times.
Deciding the daily routine is pretty difficult for those who have schizophrenia. Schizophrenics have non structured thoughts and lives. Try to structure their lives. This will help them in preventing the wandering of thoughts. Give them small tasks as per their age, interest and capability. Make this an hourly/daily/ weekly habit.
It is not possible for every schizophrenic to follow a schedule. Some are totally dependent on others for basic chores also like bathing and getting dressed. In such circumstances also try to make a time schedule for them. Try to maintain a definite routine for them.
Tips to keep your cool
Living with schizophrenic person is like walking on thorns where you are not supposed to complain about the pain. It is difficult but some things are to be taken care of all the time. Remember the following things and help yourself in maintaining your stability.
- Be friendly
- Be accepting
- Be encouraging
- Give respect
- Involve them in daily chores, small family matters
You need to avoid the following things to prevent any unwanted event.
- Being patronizing
- Being critical
- Pushing them into those situations in which they are not comfortable
- Arguing with them
- Direct continuous eye contact
- Touching the person
There are some points which you as a responsible person have to remember.
- You cannot cure a mental disorder for a family member
- It is equally hard for the individual to accept the disorder as it is for other family members
- A delusion will never go away by reasoning. There is no point in discussing it
- Never blame anyone including yourself
- Never forget your sense of humor
- Acknowledge the remarkable courage your family member may show while dealing with a mental disorder
- Symptoms of schizophrenia are bound to change even if the underlying disorder does not
- Strange behavior is a symptom of schizophrenia. do not take it personally
- Do not be afraid to ask the person if he/she is thinking about hurting own self
- Ensure your safety also
- Join a support group and get the strength from others.
- Never shout, threaten or compel the person
- Never block the door way. If the patient want to go out, let go. Be cautious and keep a watch on his whereabouts
“Witnessing deterioration without self degeneration is tricky”.
Believe in yourself and do not forget that you are strong and capable of handling crisis. Be watchful and ask for help whenever you feel burdened. Never neglect your personal health and needs. If you cannot take care of yourself, you cannot take care of others.