Acupuncture for Bursitis
There are hundreds of bursae scattered throughout the body. These bursae help in reducing friction between the adjacent joints. These bursae are lined by synovial membrane that secretes synovial fluid, which acts as a lubricating agent. If these bursae were not present in the joints, movement of the joints would be painful. Sometimes they become inflamed due to repetitive injury and cause bursitis. There are many methods to reduce inflammation. Acupuncture for bursitis is one of the natural therapies, which has been used since long.
There are many other methods, which are used in the treatment of bursitis. These treatments include medications, surgery and natural treatments. Rest is the common factor, which is essential in any kind of treatment you take to prevent bursitis. You have to give your joints and the bursae enough rest so that they respond to the treatment quickly and effectively.
Most of the times pain relieving injections and medications are used to relieve the pain. Effects of such medications are shown quickly, but they can cause adverse effects on the body if taken for prolonged time. In severe cases, inflamed bursal sacs are removed from the joint. Therefore, it is always better that you opt for natural therapies for bursitis such as acupuncture, hydrotherapy, massage, ice packs, physical therapy etc. One of the most effective methods is acupuncture, which is used in bursitis pain.
Acupuncture for bursitis:
- Acupuncture is a natural therapy, which is being used since many years to get relief from the pain. Acupuncture is used in the cure of many diseases. Acupuncture has no side effects if done in a proper manner. It requires a professional.
- In this method, initially complete physical examination of the patient is carried out.
- Physical examination such as pulse rate of both the arms and inspection of the tongue will give an acupuncturist an idea of the health of the patient.
- When this is done, tiny needles are inserted into the body of the patients. These needles are only inserted in the pressure points of the patients’ body. These needles are basically made of stainless steel and are of variant length. These needles are specially designed for the treatment and require a professional to insert the needles.
- This helps the patient to restore or re-distribute energy throughout the body.
- In some cases even electric current, pressure, cold and heat are used in the treatment of acupuncture.
- Many herbs are also used in combination with these. These herbs are necessarily Chinese herbs.
- These needles are left in the body for about 10 to 60 minutes. This time depends upon the patients’ health and his level of tolerance.
Use of acupuncture in bursitis helps you in relieving pain and inflammation. You need to carry out frequent sessions until the pain is completely neutralized. However, this method is said to be originated in China and is also used on a large extent in countries like Japan, Korea and Taiwan.