Nickel Allergy Jewelry

What will you do, if your lover experiences itching, rashes, and discoloration on the neck after wearing silver necklace that you gifted her? Do not assume that it may be due to the lack of quality of the metal. The nickel present in silver and gold ornaments may trigger allergic reactions in some people. Do not worry, you can find more precious and beautiful jewelries instead of nickel Nickel allergy jewelryallergy jewelry.

Symptoms caused by nickel allergy jewelry

Once an individual is sensitized to nickel, any further contact with the metal triggers allergic reaction in him. Sensitivity to nickel usually lasts for life. As women are the most common users of nickel jewelry, they are the victims of allergic reactions. The nickel allergy jewelry can cause various problems on the skin, where the jewelry has come in contact with.

People with allergy to nickel jewelry may experience a blue colored patch on their finger. It can be visible if the ring is removed. Discoloration of the affected area of the skin is another symptom. Patchy red marks or rashes can appear on the skin beneath the nickel allergy jewelry. The rash will occur about two days after the exposure to nickel. As a result of the allergic reaction, pierced nose or ear swells and yellow colored fluid called pus comes out. Constant burning and itching sensation also occurs around the area where the jewelry comes in direct contact with the skin. In severe conditions, people can experience bleeding from the affected skin area.

Tips to prevent the reaction of nickel allergy jewelry

  • Use earring sleeves or clear protective coating to keep jewelry from touching the skin. The earrings only with stainless steel post should be used. However, the best way to prevent from nickel dermatitis is not to wear earrings that contain nickel
  • Nickel is used in silver and gold jewelry as an additive. Wearing lower karat jewelry can increase the allergy symptoms. The lesser the karat, the more severe is the symptoms. So, wearing silver or gold jewelry of more than 14 karat is safe in most cases. They are labeled as hypoallergenic. Stick with 24-karat gold, stainless steel and platinum, if possible. Titanium is the most hypoallergenic metal and so it can be guaranteed not to trigger irritation.
  • Wearing the jewelry with nickel, when you are sweating is not safe. The presence of sweat can increase the chance of developing skin rashes due to nickel allergy.
  • Scratching or rubbing around the affected area may worsen the symptom even though it gives temporary relief. It breaks the skin barrier and allows bacteria to enter the skin. It causes the infection to spread rapidly to the surrounding tissues. Therefore, you have to resist the temptation to scratch.
  • The jewelry with stainless steel, sterling silver and solid gold do not contain nickel. So, it can be used instead of nickel allergy jewelry.
  • You can use stainless steel or high-quality gold studs on ear to prevent nickel allergy. Allowing the skin to heal completely before wearing any other kind of earrings is also good method.

Treatment for nickel jewelry allergy

Sometimes, you may not be free from the allergic reactions only by the preventive measures. In such cases, you have to consult a doctor or dermatologist for proper diagnosis. He can treat contact dermatitis with medications. Topical corticosteroids are the common treatment used to reduce inflammation caused by the allergy to nickel. If infection occurs due to the allergic reactions, antibiotics should be needed to cure the symptom.

Do you worry that you cannot wear jewelry due to the allergy to nickel? No need to worry, take proper preventive tips and you would be able to wear the nickel allergy jewelry.

Discussion Started to “Nickel Allergy Jewelry”

  1. Lauren says:

    hi,
    my mother got me a silver (fake) neckalce and ever since the top coating came off, and everytime I sweat, I get a really painful rash… It not only appears as a rash but even when the rash seems to be gone, I still get this sharp pain in my neck where the necklace has touched it… It’s almost compairable to a shock collar of bee’s stingers that sting all at once in the places the necklace has seemingly touched. Any advice on why this pain occurs and what I can do to treat it? I’ve used nystatin ointment and neospoin cream, neither had worked. Please help!

    yours truely,

    Lauren

Disscuss This / Ask A Question